Neraidochori

Within 18 km from Elati on the road to Aspropotamos and in the tourist zone of Koziakas at an altitude of 1137 m is located Neraidohori village. This is the old Veterniko or Veternik or Vetorniki. The village is built among the tall mountains Marosa and Neraida.


The name
The nane Veternikou recognized on 29/08/1912 and to Neraidochori on 17.07.1930 because of the from the peak Neraida (Fairy). On 11/11/1959 in honor of the warrior Chatzipetros the vilage renamed to Chatzipetrio until 1978. In 1979 the village was renamed Neraidochori again.

Etymology of the name "Veternik " presents difficulties and questions. The word Veternik is inexplicable from the Slavic "Vetier" means wind or windvillage, probably from Latin Vertus ( b. Veteris) which means old and Slavik "nic" which means small ie old and small village. Perhaps from KoutsoSlavic " Bantu nic" meaning small plateau. The word Veternik in another version is a composite from the Slavic "Vetter" which means wind , breath of wind and the productive suffix " Picnic " - " NIKO " means no, that place that does not catch the wind. Also the Slavic word "Veternik" or "Vetronik" figuratively means light wind, fairy or elf place. In this research may be supported also the tradition that gave the name Neraidohori.

The " Veternik " referred to as " Vetorniki " in a letter sent in 1711 by the teacher of the genus Anastasios Gordios in Venerable Monk Christopher. The clergy, elders and other Christians of " Veternikou " and villages in the province of drops indicated sigilleion Oikomenikos Patriarchis Kallinikou of E ' by which prohibited the mixing of priests in the world in 1801 and 1805.
The creation of the village is not known. The cathodes are two of the Slavs. First the sixth to seventh century and the second 13th-14th century. The code 221/8a of Barlaam Monastery of Meteora in the early 10th century mentioned the village Pertouli. So it's probably the Veterniko be built after the first descent of the Slavs. The village was burned in 1823 by the Turks , which was destroyed and the church of Agios Dimitrios.
Tradition says that once existed in the village both rich and beautiful girls. One was called Mary "Maro" and other “Fairy”. Thieves come in the village asking for it to take captive the two girls. But she managed to escape. One went to the top of a mountain and the other on top of the other. When the thieves are gone girls are not returned to the village. They had lost. The old men and old women of the village were saying that many times, the moonlit nights they saw their shadows and the dark nights listened to whiny voices. Since the mountains were named "Marosa" and "Fairy". From this tradition the village took the name "Neraidochori".

History
Neraidohori, was the home of the second grammar of Ali Pasha, member and veteran of the 1821 Christodoulos Chatzipetros (1764-1869) , who was the son of Gousiou Chatzipetrou, chief shepherd of the region Aspropotamos according to local tradition had 4,000 goats and 170 animals. In the years 1777 and 1778 passed and taught tireless fighter and walker all Greece Agios Cosmas of Aetolia.

Neraidohori
In the center of the village, stands the stone-built church of St. Nicholas basilica inscription carved on a stone on the south wall, dating it, in 1764. Inside, the church was full of paintings that today because of the fire suffered by the church in 1823 by Albanians, left only their drafts. In the temple even Chatzipetrou left his mark as a picture of the iconostasis depicting St. George on horseback.

Churches - Monasteries
The Church of St. Nicholas, a three (with two wooden colonnades) parish church was built in 1764. The temple was burned by Albanians in 1823 which would make the faded frescoes of the mid 18th century, adorning the walls. The church was restored in 1830.
St. Panteleimon (church) , (1648). It was rectangular rate according to tradition. During the Turkish rule was a secret school. The new church was built in 1976 under the care of Prist-Christos.
Prophet Elijah (chapel) built before 1821. Due to the collapse of 1909 and rebuilt in 1972 the church was rebuilt in the form it is today with the villagers fundraiser
Friday or Holy Transfiguration, is ranked Tsouka , sometimes large and important church to the monastery area , that the architectural type that follows a cruciform Athonite type, the type that is followed by the Catholic monasteries in Greece , after the 10th century. emphasized even more with sound technical stonemasonry. In reliefs, are walled over the south entrance has skalisthei inscription despite wearing showing the influence of weather conditions, we read that the church was built in 1792 and were founders of the monk Damaskonos, Δαμασκηνός, Chatzi Makarios and Xatzi Panagiotis Xatzipetros.

Monuments Popular Culture
The stone arch bridge under Neraidohori river that comes from the meadows Pertouliou called Chatzipetrou or "Kamara Smiksi". The Vromovrysi , the old road - Neraidochori Pyrra. Tampaki fountain in the main square below the church (stone)
The water fountain Batamari before the church of Agia Paraskevi. The fountain Kokkali towards Marossa.

Cultural - Traditional Events
On July 26 , Agia Paraskevi of Tsouka: The celebration starts with church service, distributing sweets to the faithful and artoklasia. The climax of the event is in the evening in the village square with traditional bands and dance for all but the revival of old customs as the nightclub (peeling corn at night). The second day is celebrated in the church of St. Panteleimon near the fountain Karagiannis. The festivities continue and close on the third day of the festival. - The first ten days of August organized by the Association Neraidochori dance evenings in the park Gkoumaria which offered food and drinks for a nominal price.
The view of Neraidochori

Agia Paraskeyi Tsoukas church

Marosa mountain

The old bridge of Chatzipetros